Position: Director of Costumes
Reports to: Artistic Director
General Position Description: The Director of Costumes manages the wardrobe department and supervises a staff in maintaining and creating all costume elements, including shoes, hair and make-up, for all Tulsa Ballet’s productions. This position works closely with the Wardrobe Supervisor, Director of Production, Ballet Mistresses and Guest Designers.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Creating and maintaining the overall look and aesthetics, under the supervision of the Artistic Director, of Tulsa Ballet’s productions.
- Organizing and supervising, including hiring, of costume shop personnel in alterations and construction of costumes.
- Managing the day to day operations of the costume shop including, but not limited to, purchasing supplies, organizing costume storage and maintaining work schedules.
- Scheduling, along with Ballet Mistress, and supervising all dancer and supernumeraries fittings.
- Providing the Artistic Director with necessary information for creating annual budgets for the costume shop and its personnel in addition to alteration and new construction costs.
- Working with the Wardrobe Supervisor to recruit and assign duties to all volunteer dressers for Company performances.
- Insuring the Company’s costume inventory and rental inventory is properly maintained.
- Supporting the education department and Tulsa Ballet Pre-Professional Ensemble (TBII) efforts in regards to costumes’ needs, including but not limited to, End of the Year Performance for Tulsa Ballet Center for Dance Education (TBCDE) and Hardesty Center for Dance Education (HCDE) and TBII mini season and education programs.