Part Time Ballet Instructors
Tulsa Ballet Center for Dance Education is currently seeking ballet instructors for Open Division classes for the 2014-2015 school year, starting in September 2014 and ending in May 2015. TBCDE follows national holidays and Tulsa Public School breaks. Open Division instructor positions are part-time hourly positions with an average of 2-5 classes per week.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 2-3 years teaching experience in ballet (ages 3-10 and adult)
- Knowledge of the Vaganova Syllabus preferred
- Experience as a professional ballet dancer preferred, but not required
- Ability to adapt to a structured syllabus that is determined by the TBCDE principal/faculty
- Availability to teach weekday afternoons/evenings, Saturday mornings
- Willingness to substitute teach when needed
- Choreographic skills, to choreograph class divertissements for the End of Year performances
- To apply, please send your resume in MS Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Tulsa Ballet Center for Dance Education is seeking a part-time Apprentice Pianist.
Position Overview: Tulsa Ballet Center for Dance Education’s Apprentice Pianist Position offers a full school year (August to May) of employment for a talented pianist beginning their professional career. Piano accompanying for classical ballet technique classes is a specialized area of collaborative piano arts, requiring musical understanding and sensitivity, pianistic ability, knowledge of specific repertoire for classical ballet, communication skills, and familiarity with the characteristics of ballet movements. The Apprentice Pianist will train with our full-time staff pianists and school faculty to learn these skills and reach an acceptable level of proficiency in this specialized field. They will gain valuable experience in playing for our outreach programs (LEAPS) and different levels of ballet technique classes for our school, enjoy our company productions, master piano transcriptions of standard classical ballet repertoire, and learn to transcribe choreography in rehearsal scores. The position is a paid apprenticeship.
- At least 5 years of classical piano training. A Bachelor’s degree or above with a major or minor in music (emphasis on keyboard instruments) is preferred.
- 6 months of experience accompanying ballet technique classes is preferable. Inexperienced accompanists with excellent piano skills will also be considered.
- Good sight reading of music and familiarity with ballet class structure and ballet vocabularies is an asset.
- Ability to play an average of 4-5 hours of scheduled classes per day in addition to personal practice time to continue to develop technical proficiency.
- Candidate will need to be able to work amicably under pressure with other artistic staff
- Must be extremely well organized
- Repertoire list (Major pieces that you have played for the past 3 years. Include ballet repertoire as well, if applicable.)
- Recording of recent unedited performances (2 contrasting solo pieces). Applicants can send the recordings in mp3 format through email or put them on a CD if mailing in the application. In lieu of a recording, in-person auditions may also be scheduled at the applicant’s expense.
- Two professional references with phone numbers, emails and addresses (letters are not necessary). Include the names of ballet teachers for whom you have played, if applicable.
Principal Company and School Pianist: Mr. Andrew Lahti
(918) 749-6030 ext. 266
You can also mail in the materials to:
ATTN: Apprentice Pianist Position
1212 E 45th Place South
Tulsa, OK 74105
Review of applications and interviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.